Wednesday, April 28, 2010

lessons learned.

As I'm looking at the end of the school year here at MACU I am looking back on the things I've learned in this environment that is so unlike any I've ever experienced.

I've learned:

  • There are more hypocrites than you think. People that live their whole lives as a lie.
  • That even at a Christian school people aren't as open to talk about their faith. People are afraid to question things and admit their struggles. Because when they do they are faced with judgement.
  • College is like bigger high school. People gossip, people judge, people say hurtful things to make themselves look better, people lie, cheat, and do "bad" things.
  • People grow up at very different rates. And rush into big life commitments without thinking them all the way through and making responsible decisions just because they want to feel like grown ups.
  • That even though people screw up and have faults there are a lot of them that genuinely love God and want to honor Him with their lives and their ministry positions. These people make me happy and proud of my generation.
  • That when you find someone who cares about you, embrace it. Loving people comes with the risk of being hurt, but it's worth it.
  • What true beauty in a person looks like.
  • How to love a person's heart. Their raw, broken, ugly heart.
  • I've learned how to voice my opinions. To stick up for myself and others.

I've been tested on my patience, my loving nature, my integrity, my communication skills, my friendships, and so much more. Some of these things I've failed at, but as I've failed i have grown, so I don't look at it as failure. I am thankful for the lessons I learn, but I'm not done learning them yet. I want to continue to learn. I am thankful for all the friendships I've made this year, and the relationships I've cultivated.

I want to be an amazing woman of God.

I want to be a woman like:
Norma Furgerson
Marjorie Furgerson
Darla Givan.

It is an honor to know and have known these women, it is a privilege to call them family. I hope to leave a legacy of at least a fraction of the ones these women have.




No comments:

Post a Comment