Wednesday, January 13, 2010

peter bartholomew furgerson

The new addition to my little family. I was stoked to get him when I went to WalMart on Monday, but they didn't have any. I was so disappointed. They said there would be a new beta shipment on Wednesday.

These have been the longest 2 days ever. I waited in anticipation, thinking about my little fish at every sentence.

Finally, Today I went back to WalMart and bee-lined toward the fish. Then I saw him, this cute little blue fishie. I name him Peter. I love him. I was talking to him in the store. It was beautiful and our love was strong. He was darting all around his little cup thing like a spaz and I knew I picked the right fish.

When I get back to the dorm I washed the vase I was putting him in and rinsed the marbles and poured in the new spring water. Then I dumped little Peter in. He looked so happy swimming around his new home. Then he started convulsing. No lie. My poor baby. I was so worried. On the phone with Cody FREAKING out. Then Jo [my RA] came in and I told her what was happening. Apparently the water was too cold so we had to go straight into Operation Rescue Peter. We put some spring water in my "N" coffee mug and microwaved it until it was room temperature, then Jo scooped little Peter out with her hands and said the water was freezing. So at this point Peter is in the mug, I'm on the verge of tears, late to meet my ride for Bible study, and freaking out still on the phone with Cody because I'm still scared I killed my fish.

I felt like a horrible mother. I dumped my fish into dangerous conditions. And then I abandoned him during Bible study.

After Bible study, I ran back to my room to check on Peter, he was still alive!! So then I started scooping out water from the vase, microwaving the water, pouring it back in, mixing it, and then repeating the process. Finally I got the water at the right temperature and I poured Peter back in, and he was alive and happy! Yay!! Hopefully he won't remember our first couple hours together and we can have a beautiful bond. I'm going to be a good mommy!

Also at WalMart today... I got a plant. It's not dead yet either. :]

No comments:

Post a Comment