Wednesday, January 6, 2010

break my heart

Break my heart from what breaks yours
Everything I am for your kingdoms cause
-hillsong

Do we really know what we say when we worship? Do we really mean the words we sing?

I am so blessed to live where I do. To be born and raised in one of the wealthiest counties in the world. To never ever have to worry about where my food was going to come from. To never questions the stability of my parents' jobs. I've never had to beg, I've never had to work, I've never had to live without. I'm spoiled. I'm blessed.

I wish I knew more about the poverty, slavery, genocide in the world. MOST people in this world only dream about my world. I'm a princess. But I'm a small minority. I am so thankful and feel so blessed to be part of my world, even though the vast majority of the time I take everything for granted and just feel entitled to more.

One of my resolutions [not a New Years Resolution, those are stupid and people never follow through on them] is to learn about the people of this world who have a daily struggle for survival. The people who don't know where their food will come from, where they will sleep tonight, what they are going to tell their children who don't have enough clothes to keep warm or shoes to protect their little feet from shattered glass and sharp rocks in the street, those who are in slavery, those who have never received love. I cannot keep pushing it out of my head. The more knowledge I gain, the more I can spread knowledge, and the more I can ultimately help the cause.

Here are some absolutely startling and heartbreaking statistics about world poverty. Take the time to read them. They are truly heartbreaking. Count your blessings. Give thanks. Many don't have the luxury of some of our daily "problems."

Here is information about slavery going on TODAY! There is an estimated 27 MILLION people in slavery, TODAY! I can't even imagine a group of one million people, TWENTY-SEVEN MILLION people are in slavery today, all over the world. Including in the United States. Each of those people has a soul, a brain, a smile. They are each loved by someone, even though they might not know it.

I'm going to dive in and learn so much about this issue. Nothing is going to be done about it if people are naive to the whole issue. My friends are going to get so sick of me because I'm not going to shut up about it. I want to learn as much as I can and spread as much awareness as I can. Do you think it's possible to go into the world and hug 27 million people, give them a giant mug of my special hot chocolate, and just cry with them? Because that's what I want to do.

Give me your eyes for just one second
Give me your eyes so I can see
Everything that I keep missing
Give me your love for humanity
Give me your arms for the broken hearted
The ones that are far beyond my reach
Give me you heart for the ones forgotten
Give me your eyes so I can see
-brandon heath

No comments:

Post a Comment